Your Ad Here

Your Ad Here

Bringing smiles to the underprivileged gives me inner peace, says Tendulkar

Mumbai Mirror - Oct 2

Sachin Tendulkar has various ways of distressing after a bad series. He continues to discover, and scale, higher peaks of the cricketing Himalayas because of his unique ability to delete unpleasant memories from his mental makeup. Tendulkar doesn’t believe in going into details of what went wrong, at least publicly. He has done his introspection, and it’s done and dusted. He finds ways to remain happy, and that reflects in his career.

One of Tendulkar’s biggest distressing tools is to give others happiness. He does it silently, like he is on the field, and is looking forward to recharge the batteries of his soul when he lands in India in the midst of the Joy of Giving Week.

In an exclusive interview with Mumbai Mirror in Johannesburg on Thursday, Tendulkar spoke at length about how he manages to achieve balance in a stress-filled lifestyle, and how his horizons have been broadened.

• You remain grounded in victory and defeat, and a humble person despite wealth and power. Apart from your family, does giving something back to others play a part in it?

It surely does. If you have inner peace, you will find success more often than not. I have a lot of time for initiatives like the Joy of Giving Week. You know, you had a tough day in office, things have not gone in your favour for some time, and then, you see a face lit up with joy because of you. Bang. You are back.

• It must be easy for you, because you are blessed with plenty…

That’s the misconception we are carrying. It’s not how much that matters. It’s the gesture.

I had a unique experience on August 15 this year. I bought a flag from a little girl on the road, and instead of Re1 or Rs 2, I gave her some more. Look, I didn’t give her a big amount, just little more.

I don’t think I will ever forget that pleasantly surprised look on her face. It’s about giving people what they need.

• Do success and failure get slotted into perspective for you through these philosophies?

It’s important to believe in something, even if it’s a philosophy. I do admit that I’m in a fortunate position in life. But at the end of the day, I’m like anyone else, with my struggles, my worries. Not just success and failure but you start seeing life itself in its true perspective when you discover the joy of giving. It’s very simple formula. In any walk of life, no matter what you are doing, when you know you have made a positive difference, you will have a good day.

• You and cricket are inseparable, it’s your profession. Are you what you are today because charity has allowed you to broaden your horizons?

I’m a father, and I often think of those kids who are living off the streets, who have nobody to take care of them. We just spoke about perspective. That puts the whole thing into perspective for me. As professionals, we are all over the world, but if we pause and think for a moment, each one of us who sleep in their beds in the night will count their blessings. And that’s where we need more initiatives like Joy of Giving Week.

• In sad times and happy tidings, you still keep going back to your late father, don’t you? And that song which is your philosophy of sorts, Main Zindagi Ki Saath Nibhata Chala Gaya?

Oh yes, it’s something personal. My father made me what I am, he will always remain my biggest support system. Again, the perspective. He told me, ‘All that praise on the cricket field is great, but there is something much more important in life. At the end of the day, it’s about how you are remembered’. You may do whatever in your profession, but at the end of the day, the success column is all about the kind of person you turn out to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here