Your Ad Here

Your Ad Here

I am living my dream: Sachin Tendulkar

It was the winter of 1989 when a 16-year old Sachin Tendulkar made his debut for India against Pakistan, their fiercest rival. He came armed with an already formidable opposition and began the journey that scaled a summit that a few would imagine was possible.

Twenty years later, Sachin Tendulkar is a legend among his peers and a colossal that history would place on a heady pedestal. He still plays the game with limitless enthusiasm and continues to enchant.

CNN-IBN brings you the man himself, his unmatched success and the hunger that co
ntinues to drive him on in Tendulkar@20 in his own words.

CNN-IBN: Are you still as excited as ever to begin a new season of cricket?

Sachin Tendulkar: I am always excited to play cricket. Twenty years ago, it was a similar kind of excitement and today also it's the same. When it's cricket, the heart starts beating faster and it's not just me, but everyone around us. They all are looking forward to the season and so am I.

CNN-IBN: As you said, as the season starts, the heart starts beating faster but now you must know how to deal with the positive nervous energy in a much better way than when you were 16.

Sachin Tendulkar: Initially, I didn't realise this but as time went by I came to know that this is how my body gears up before a big game. I am a little restless and that's how my body is preparing and my subconscious mind is getting ready for the event. Now I am used to it. So I like it when I am a little restless. I'm comfortable with it.

CNN-IBN: Have you redefined the word genius? In two months time, you will become the second cricketer to complete two decades in international cricket. How do you look back at this entire journey?

Sachin Tendulkar: It's been a fantastic journey. I thoroughly enjoyed it and every moment has been a special one. Playing for India means the world to me. I grew up dreaming about playing for India and I am living my dream. It's almost going to be 20 years now.

I am thankful to God that I have been given the opportunity to play for the country for such a long period. I have been fortunate because so many people dream of playing for the nation and I have been doing it for a couple of decades. So I am quite happy about it.

CNN-IBN: You have broken almost all records a batsman can. So now what motivates you personally, apart from the team goals like winning a World Cup for India? Do you aspire to get 15, 000 runs or hundred centuries?

Sachin Tendulkar: First of all, when you play for India, you do not need any external factor to motivate you. When you play for India, you are motivated from within. I don't think anybody plays for the records. Records are just mere reflection of what I have been able to do for the country. It's just my contribution.

While playing, if records are broken, it's great. But what we look to do is go step by step towards achieving the team's target. And while achieving that the various things that happen are always welcomed. The most important thing is the team's glory and that's what we all focus on.

CNN-IBN: But someone as Roger Federer aims to have this many grand slam titles. Do you see yourself achieving 15, 000 runs? Is it something you are looking to achieve?

Sachin Tendulkar: I have never said I want to score 15, 000 runs. When I achieved 10, 000 runs Sunil Gavaskar said to me that I should achieve 15, 000. And that was what I was asked and I answered that if my hero tells me to do something, I have to put a big effort to do that. And that is where it ended.

It was projected differently. I have never made such big statements. I would like to enjoy the game. And if it has to happen, it will happen.

The only target that I can say I was given was 35 Test hundreds because we grew up watching Sunil Gavaskar and every now and then his examples were used. And if you wanted to be regarded as one of the greatest players, then you have to get to 34 hundreds and go past that. That was the target. I am quite happy because Gavaskar played a role in motivating all of us and left such a legacy that the next generation got inspired by what he did. And in every step in our cricketing life, we have used his example.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here